This Charter sets out how we will look after the Protected Personal Information that we hold about individuals and organisations, while ensuring that we trade effectively.
Protected Personal Information (also called Protected Personal Data) is information:
- that links one or more identifiable living persons with information about them – the release of which would put them at significant risk of harm or distress
- about 1,000 or more identifiable individuals, other than information sourced from the public domain.
In addition, FCO Services consider Protected Personal Information to be data:
- that links one or more identifiable organisations (either commercial or government) with information about them, the release of which would put them at risk of embarrassment or commercial harm.
When we ask for personal information, we will:
- make sure we really need it
- only ask for what we need and avoid collecting too much or irrelevant information
- protect it to make sure no one has access to it who shouldn’t
- only share it with other organisations as the law allows
- treat information about organisations in the same manner that we treat Protected Personal Information about people
- make sure that our staff are appropriately trained in the handling of Protected Personal Information
- NOT make Protected Personal Information available for commercial use without your permission.
In return, we ask:
- for accurate personal and commercial information
- that you tell us as soon as possible if there are any changes to that information.
More information is available on:
- how to find out what personal information we hold and how to correct any mistakes
- what agreements we have with other organisations for information-sharing
- how we collect, use and delete personal information
- how we check that the information we hold is accurate and up to date
- how to make a complaint.
Through these commitments, we will keep to the law, including the Data Protection Act 1998 and the Freedom of Information Act 2000.
To get independent advice about data protection, privacy and data-sharing issues, you can contact:
Information Commissioner’s Office
Telephone: 0303 123 1113 or 01625 54 57 45
Fax: 01625 524510